torsdag den 11. april 2013

1/4 - 7/4 San Francisco
Flew straight to California after the IoM to attend and present at the 2013 MRS Spring Meeting. Horrible journey over, slightly hung over and with a cold, through several busy and unpleasant US airports!

 Despite having a fairly heavy cold, I managed easy  runs most mornings and evenings of around 30-45min duration and ~4-4.30min/km pace. From my downtown hotel (on 4th Street/Market) I found the best route to run in the early mornings was along the bay front, between the baseball stadium and Fort Mason, a fairly flat section with a number of toilets and places to drink. However, later in the day and in the evenings I found this section becomes impassibly busy with tourists - instead cutting through the hilly back roads of Chinatown and Nob Hill to Fort Mason and continuing along the bayfront towards the Golden Gate bridge was less crowded. On this route, I managed to take a run up the twisty Lombard St (pictured) a couple of times! I found the weather to be extremely variable (as most tour guides of the place will tell you) although warm enough for shorts most days - definitely advisable to wear at least a thin waterproof jumper in early April.

On my final morning there, feeling a bit better, I decided to try and do a long run in order to stretch my legs before the long plane journey back. Somehow I got a bit carried away with myself and managed 31.84km in 2h15 - the longest run I've managed in half a year and without too much ankle pain :-) I took a route along Market St, through Haight-Ashbury (the old 'hippie town') and down through Golden Gate Park to the sea. From here, the route was fairly easy - just follow the coast, all on nice soft trail paths. I'd imagine the views from Land's End and of the bridge from Fort Point are quite spectacular; unfortunately, this day was dense fog and drizzle, meaning I could make out the bottom of one of the bridge supports at best! 

I also visited(\mooched free stuff) at the expo for the Rock n' Roll San Francisco Half Marathon, run on the day after I'd left - a great route including across the Golden Gate bridge, with lots of bands playing along side the race (and a large beer tent at the end!). Quite frustrating, since I could've stayed to do it - but I suspect despite being able to do long easy runs I'm not up to a competitive half yet, and I certainly wasn't when I planned the trip in Jan.

Weekly total: 93.46km

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar