søndag den 2. juni 2013

Midtjysk Bjergløb, Bjergspurten 5.4km (appx. 120m climb) - 1st, 18:44 

Trip to Virklund near Silkeborg for the shorter version of 'Denmark's Hardest Mountain Race', organised by SMT Silkeborg. A quite early start to catch the bus from gf's parents house near Horsens, got to the race around 9.15 leaving a long time to kill until the 11am start. Very windy and (relatively) cold day, the race number tent was nearly airborne at one point!

Decided to do the less prestigious 5.4km to protect my ankle. The 27km full-bjergløb at this time is too much and 12km, with a hilly final 6km, was too much of a risk at this stage of recovery - especially since this race would contain stiffer competition and I'd potentially have had to push harder than I wanted to on the hilly section rather than setting and controlling the pace. The competition was somewhat weakened today, with the winners of previous years absent - likely on account of the Århus City Half next week. I'll be skipping that ahead of the MalmöMilen the week after; it takes more than a week to recover from a 1/2 and I'd rather take one decent race time than 2 crap ones.

Probably didn't quite warm up enough before the start as I ran the first km in a lethargic 3.28km - on tarmac, with downhill sections. Two runners stuck with me through this section, up to the start of the hill when I started to pull away. To try and get back some time, I pushed a bit and ran the 2nd km, up the main 70m climb, in 3.19/km - even catching and overtaking the lead bike! :-) The 3rd and 4th km were mainly downhill, however I covered these at the same 3.18-3.19/km pace - partly to recover from the hill effort and partly because I'm still very cautious descending after injury. I passed 5km in just inside 17min, slowing slightly for the final 0.4km slightly into the wind.

Afterwards took a 14km easier run at 4.00/km from Virklund to Gjessø and back - much better to do some after-training at an easy pace than re-injure myself over the longer race routes.

Overall a top day out and a good run. Nice walk back to Ry via the Himmelbjerg on the way back - walked some of the course covered by Himmelbjergløbet in October, one of my all-time favorite races due to the challenging course, the lovely autumnal woods and the epic Rocky-esque final km 15 with the huge climb from Julsø to the tower.

Big box of takeaway chow mein in Ry, def needed after racing and walking so far! Hope to be back sometime to run either the 12 or 27km routes...

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar