søndag den 7. september 2014

1.9.14-7.9.14: Back in Lund and 1900 Half in Århus



Main sessions: Tues: 4x0.8-1.5k intervals along the Hardebergaspåret, between the road bridges across the bike path at 3.00-3.10/km pace. Weds: 10xlong hill at St Hans backar. (I'd hoped that by the end of summer they'd finished with the rebuilding work up there, but unfortunately it seems to be carrying on another year...).

Races: Audi Challenge Aarhus Halvmarathon: 1:16.30 (10k split 35:11)

Urrrrrrrrgh at Brabrand sø. Simon Mikkelsen\Spotted.dk


Since flying back from the US, I'd not felt too well, most probably down to something I ate. During the week, I was unable to even finish an easy run without stopping and the interval sessions were horrible: bad stomach cramps (hence the slower 4:21/km average pace for the week). On a short run in Lund on Fri, I barely managed 6km before having to stop completely and walk home. Not good at all. I decided to do no running from Fri morning and have a day on Sat eating very little, in order to try and get well enough to race. This seemed to help, so I decided to go for the race on Sun. The weather was pretty good for it, 15C and slightly cloudy so I decided that I'd go down and if I felt bad warming up, I'd simply abandon the race - it's effectively the season-opener after summer, and not such a high priority. After a bit of a run round the football pitches at Viby stadium, I decided that although I didn't feel brilliant, that I'd give it a go anyway.

I decided to aim for a steady 3:30/km pace, which I largely managed with no trouble out to 10km. Out around the lake, however, I started to feel bad and was forced to slow down between 10-15km. The final 6 was a real struggle against stopping to be sick, with the cramps returning :-( and I think I lost around 4 or 5 places, including one in the last 200m...no way I was sprint finishing!. No drinks (that would've finished me) made it especially hard going. Very frustrating, especially since had I kept the pace I may have well finished 3rd, but I made it round in a half decent time. The aim of it anyway was just to get back racing again after the summer holiday ahead of the Lidingöloppet now just 19 days away.

Next week: some easy running to start with, just to see if I'm getting better. If so, I may do the Veberödsrundan at a bit of a slower pace, just to build some fitness ahead of the LL.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar